Student members of the Regional Leadership Team serve as a student voice and work with the team to boost student engagement and programming activities. Volunteers in this role gain opportunities for mentorship and professional development through creative thinking, communication, leadership, and collaboration skills. Reporting to the regional director, for a one-year term, student members are responsible for:
- Serving as the chair of any regional student advisory committees, networks, or other student groups.
- Working directly with the student involvement coordinator in the engagement of student members.
- Developing strategies for building a strong student network and recruiting more student participation in the region.
- Facilitating communication between the Regional Leadership Team and student members.
- Serving as the official student voice and resource in Regional Leadership Team business.
- Organizing and facilitating a meeting for students (undergraduate or graduate) at the Regional Conference.
- Serving as a member of volunteer selection committee(s), as appropriate.
- Developing a personal development plan that highlights desired learning outcomes while holding this position.
All Regional Leadership Team members are also responsible for:
- Participating in scheduled Regional Leadership Team meetings during the year. These typically include monthly conference calls; a face-to-face meeting at the regional conference; and a second face-to-face meeting at a time determined by the team.
- Acting as a resource person for the region and campus organizations.
- Inspiring student involvement in regional and ACUI events and opportunities.
- Developing proposal for an educational session at the regional conference.
- Supporting efforts in the region to raise funds for scholarships and corporate partnerships.
Direct expenses for conducting association or regional business for meetings are covered by the association. However, positions requiring the volunteer to travel and be registered for conferences and events, which is a commitment of the institution.
Given current realities regarding potential current and future travel
restrictions, members interested in this volunteer opportunity should
still apply, and we will be flexible with accommodations and exceptions
on a case-by-case basis, as necessary.
Apply by June 26 for open positions in your region. The written application will ask you to:
- Provide your name, institution, and contact information.
- Describe your relevant experiences and your skills/perspectives that would contribute to your success as a volunteer
- Select which volunteer opportunities you are interested in
- Upload a signed Institutional Support Form [pdf], as this position requires travel, financial support
to register for event(s), and/or significant out-of-office time
Region I Region II
Region III Region IV
Region V Region VI Region VII
We acknowledge the challenges associated with the unknowns of professional development and travel support in the times ahead for higher education, so we are happy to discuss institutional support circumstances with interested individuals and make appropriate accommodations. We will be as flexible as possible, so please do not allow this form alone be a factor in keeping you from submitting an application.
To discuss volunteering with your institution to ensure that they are supportive of your involvement, download these About Volunteer with ACUI talking points [pdf] to share additional information about what it means to be a volunteer.
A screening committee made up of the volunteer team leader, the regional membership experience coordinator, and other related volunteers will review applications, interview candidates, and make recommendations for selections.