Business managers serve as the chief financial officer for the region. Through this position, volunteers develop professionally, working with a team to manage finances, develop budgets, and prepare reports. Business managers play an active role in both expense management and revenue generation for the region, including the regional conference, sponsorships, and scholarships.
Reporting to the regional director and being supported by the senior financial manager staff liaison, for a two-year term, business managers are responsible for:
- Overseeing all fiscal matters and budget management for the region.
- Creating of an annual budget plan for the region.
- Creating an annual revenue generation plan for the region.
- Advising the regional director, regional conference coordinator, recognition coordinator, and corporate partnerships volunteers as it relates to financial expectations, approvals, and needs of the region.
- Serving as an ex-officio member of the Regional Conference Planning Team.
- Maintaining and reconciling all regional financial records with those of the Central Office.
- Acting as a signatory on all regional contract review, reimbursement, and other appropriate financial forms.
- Preparing financial reports for monthly conference calls, regional conferences, and Regional Leadership Team meetings throughout the year.
- Maintaining regular communication with regional director, Regional Leadership Team members, and Central Office.
- Offering insight in to the financial status of the region and participating in decisions that would affect the region’s financial health.
- Working with Regional Leadership Team members in preparing annual budgets and assisting the regional director in the development of an overall budget for the region.
- Transitioning accurate financial records and back-up documentation to future volunteers in the role.
- Demonstrating proficiency in the use of Excel spreadsheets and possessing an understanding of basic accounting principles.
All Regional Leadership Team members are also responsible for:
- Participating in scheduled Regional Leadership Team meetings during the year. These typically include monthly conference calls; a face-to-face meeting at the regional conference; and a second face-to-face meeting at a time determined by the team.
- Acting as a resource person for the region and campus organizations.
- Inspiring student involvement in regional and ACUI events and opportunities.
- Developing proposal for an educational session at the regional conference.
- Supporting efforts in the region to raise funds for scholarships and corporate partnerships.
Direct expenses for conducting association or regional business for meetings are covered by the association. However, positions requiring the volunteer to travel and be registered for conferences and events, which is a commitment of the institution.
Given current realities regarding potential current and future travel
restrictions, members interested in this volunteer opportunity should
still apply, and we will be flexible with accommodations and exceptions
on a case-by-case basis, as necessary.
Apply by June 26 for open positions in your region. The written application will ask you to:
- Provide your name, institution, and contact information.
- Describe your relevant experiences and your skills/perspectives that would contribute to your success as a volunteer
- Select which volunteer opportunities you are interested in
- Upload a signed Institutional Support Form [pdf], as this position requires travel, financial support
to register for event(s), and/or significant out-of-office time
Region I Region II
Region VI Region VII
We acknowledge the challenges associated with the unknowns of professional development and travel support in the times ahead for higher education, so we are happy to discuss institutional support circumstances with interested individuals and make appropriate accommodations. We will be as flexible as possible, so please do not allow this form alone be a factor in keeping you from submitting an application.
To discuss volunteering with your institution to ensure that they are supportive of your involvement, download these About Volunteer with ACUI talking points [pdf] to share additional information about what it means to be a volunteer.
A screening committee made up of the volunteer team leader, the regional membership experience coordinator, and other related volunteers will review applications, interview candidates, and make recommendations for selections.