Note: To post to the ACUI Forum, you must be an ACUI member and logged in to the ACUI website.
Campus Life and Program Management
Student Leader Training
We are looking to revamp our student leader training in August and I am looking for models/examples of other institutions training programs. If you could take a moment and answer a few questions, I would be glad to share what we end up creating.
We are looking to have a large 2 day training for 5 organizations including student government, activities, diversity, clubs advisory board and possibly greek life.
1. Does your training have a 'fun' name, other than student leader training?
2. Do you have recommendations of personality assessments for the students to take?
3. Do you know of a good diversity speaker or resources for us to look at?
4. What do you feel are important topics to cover with a group like this? Building our leadership is very important and something we need to get better at. Any comments, suggestions, reading materials, etc. is greatly appreciated.
It is hard to believe we are planning fall, just as spring is wrapping up... now a summer to plan.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
We do training for our student employee leaders, which is not exactly the same as what you are doing. We have done the MBTI assessment with our students. It has worked well. We will be using StrengthsQuest this fall with them. One topic that we have worked on that our students have asked for is peer-to-peer conflict. It is critical that they develop these skills now and for life.
We have not focused on any fun names for our training. I have heard that other schools have themed their trainings.
Good luck with your planning!
Assistant Director, Facilities and Operations
I know that for the University of Houston, we have created a 3 day off site, student leader training in which all students who have a major campus organization leadership position must attend. As far as your questions:
1. We've named ours XLR or the Executive Leadership Retreat
2. We use Strengths based training and it's worked pretty well for us since it's so individual
3. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I know of a few that I could maybe connect you with
4. For us, leadership is definitely a huge thing but we also make sure that we cover diversity awareness, team building, personal and organizational mission, as well as a little bit of conflict resolution.
Over the past few years our program has changed a lot and we're hoping this year is even more successful than it has been.
Let me know if you have any other questions or want any more information.