Facilities and Operations Home Page

Note: To post to the ACUI Forum, you must be an ACUI member and logged in to the ACUI website. 

RSS Feed Print Category View
multi-use lounge/gameroom/program spaces
Cindy Haarstad(haarstad)
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 10:29 AM

We recently learned that we may be gaining some space in our building as a couple of services move to a different building.  Yeah!  So, we are in high gear brainstorming and dreaming up what needs we can meet in this space.  It is clear already that our students would like a multi-use space that is active and playful where they can chill, get some snacks and coffee, play games (pool, ping pong, foosball, video-gaming, etc.), and also have small programs like bands and dances so want a small stage and built-in sound and lights.  If you have such a space in your building or have seen one somewhere else, I'd appreciate it if you would share some info with me.  Pictures or links to websites that highlight the space would be especially helpful as I'd like to share this info with our committee.  Also, if you have any comments on what works well in your space or what doesn't work as well as you had hoped, I'd love to hear those thoughts too.  Thanks!  Cindy Haarstad, Macalester College, chaarsta@macalester.edu

Timothy Duggan(timothyduggan)
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:37 PM

How much money do you have for the stage, the lighting, the sound etc.

How portable should things be?

What decibel level do you need to be able to provide (high energy dance or rock and roll?).

Are you providing mics, processing, monitors etc.? Is there a staff person who would be responsible for managing all this stuff?

I would contact a local production company and get some ideas and quotes from them. My god, you are in St. Paul MN- it is absolutely overflowing with theater techs... Talk to someone over in your Drama Dept. and ask who some of their suppliers are for sound, staging, lighting etc.

Good luck!

-Tim

Dartmouth

Jump to different Forum...