Note: To post to the ACUI Forum, you must be an ACUI member and logged in to the ACUI website. 

RSS Feed Print Category View
Shuttle Service
Susan Payment(spayment)
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:24 AM

I'm researching options, costs, etc. related to operating a campus shuttle service (to transport students to facilities/venues owned/leased by the institution that are not within walking distance of main campus).  Information related to both in-house/self-operated and contracted services would be appreciated.  Feel free to post or contact me directly at payments@cofc.edu.

Thanks!

Susan Payment

College of Charleston

Michael Makoski(makoski)
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:49 PM

Susan,

I worked on something similar a few years ago when I first started at Fitchburg State.  At the time we had student run shuttles that drove around the city and to local attractions.  As we had student running it, and driving at all hours in a city, I quickly stopped the program.

In its place I was able to work with our local transit company. What we do is hire out private, small busses 4 times a week to bring students to shopping centers, malls and local attractions on a fixed route. This covers most of what our students need and has a licensed driver who is in communication with a dispatcher supervising the transit. One of the great additions I was able to include in this program was free bus priveledges for our students to ride the local transit to wherever they go! If you look into contracting it out, keep this in mind as they may not mind having student riders for free, if they are making money back on the contract.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jump to different Forum...