Note: To post to the ACUI Forum, you must be an ACUI member and logged in to the ACUI website. 

RSS Feed Print Category View
Lost Keys
Victoria Hanson(VICKEYHANSON)
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 2:28 PM

Hello,

I'm looking for some information regarding standards of practice with regards to lost keys. 

What do you do when your students lose the building key ring?

What do you do when your custodians lose their key ring?

Do you change all locks in the building?  Do you charge per key or per ring?

Thanks,

Vickey

Victoria Hanson

Emory University

vhanson@emory.edu

Neal Miller(39725)
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:16 PM

I am working on drafting a key policy as well, so if anyone has one they would like to share please do.

Thank you,

Neal Miller

UNC Charlotte

nmille41@uncc.edu

Benjamin Hopkins(bhopkins)
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:13 PM

Hi Vicky!

We have a couple of policies that can come into play with your question.

1. We allow the president and some vice presidents of organizations that have offices in our building to be issued a key for their office. If they lose their key, they are required to pay a small fee (currently $10) and they are required to return their keys by the end of each academic year. I also do a spot check at the end of each semester.

2. We have swipe card access to our building so our custodians and building managers are issued a swipe card so that they can open the building early morning and on weekends. If they lose these, we typically deactivate and move on. I think I've had 4 lost in 4 years.

3. The custodians were issued keys from Public Safety and upon leaving the university must turn in their keys back to Public Safety. PS may issue a fee if the keys are not returned.

4. We have one building key ring and when keys turn up missing we charge the student or custodian the same $10 fee.

Hope that helps.

Ben Hopkins

Clayton State University

BenjaminHopkins@Clayton.Edu

Jump to different Forum...