Note: To post to the ACUI Forum, you must be an ACUI member and logged in to the ACUI website. 

RSS Feed Print Category View
Building Manager Training - CPR?
Allen Josey(josey)
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:39 PM

Curious to get a sense of what folks are doing around various emergency/1st response training for their student building manger staff and full-time staff too.  In particular, I am wondering about topics like: CPR, Bloodborne Pathogens, AED/Defibrillators, etc.  We have a formal rescue program on campus and they respond to all emergencies so trying to assess the need to provide this level of training to our students vs. relying on UVM Rescue.

Thanks in advance for any info you could share.

Allen Josey 

Director of Operations & Event Services

Dudley H. Davis Center

University of Vermont

Larry Mosher(larrym46)
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:12 PM

As part of our training we include first aid, CPR and AED training. As a result they are certified for 2 years. Our Union Assistant Director is trained as a trainer or we use the recreation/athletic staff who are trained. This makes it quite easy for training and less expensive.
Allen Flanagan(roger.flanagan@mail.wvu.edu)
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:58 PM

Historically, we have trained our Building Supervisors (students) and some full time staff for CPR/First Aid/AED.  We had been paying $20 a person for this training.  This past summer, we found out that we were able to schedule this training for any University employee at no charge through our campus office of Environmental Health and Safety.  I also went through the instructor certification so I can offer the training for our building staff (student, full time, part time, etc.) without the problems associated with scheduling an outside trainer.  The cost for an American Heart Association trainer certification was around $150 and well worth the investment.
Michael Makoski(makoski)
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 4:03 PM

CPR/AED training is part of my "Building Manager Boot Camp" program. I mandate that all of my Building Managers are trained so they know how to react to a situation and how to best respond.

I do not require that they intervene, but that they know how to react and that they are trained in case a situation happens. The response and reactions that they choose are theirs to make.

Sara Lindeman(stryffelers)
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:04 PM

All student, custodial and reservations staff are CPR and AED certified; the majority of feedback after the training is that they feel more confident in their abilities to respond to emergencies.
Benjamin Hopkins(bhopkins)
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:58 PM

We currently don't train the building managers. We do train our fitness center staff. They also act as first responders. Next year we plan on including our building managers in the training.
Nora Molloy(59857)
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 10:21 AM

We have our 20 or so Building managers and 12 or so professional staff all go through CPR and AED training. We can do this for free through the local EMT.

Jump to different Forum...