Note: To post to the ACUI Forum, you must be an ACUI member and logged in to the ACUI website. 

RSS Feed Print Category View
Scheduling Software and Catering Software
Deborah Hoefer(dhoefer)
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:51 PM

Good afternoon,

I am hoping you might be able to provide me some feedback regarding how you track your catering and room scheduling.

Currently we have a room scheduling package that was implemented campus wide 6 years ago. The scheduling software is difficult to use for catering purposes. We have worked with our food service provider to make the reports and contracts as easy to read as we can, but over the past 6 months we have had billing issues, missed caterings, missed items on caterings, etc.

Some of this is due to growth and increased number of events, but some is human error and the format of the information being provided.

This morning our food service contractor showed us a catering software package for us to consider using alongside our room scheduling software.

I like most of what is in the catering software package, but I have concerns of consistency and duplication of information. My staff (2 FTE) would enter some information in one database and other information in another. Our offices in the University Center handle all of our catering and the contractor executes the catering based upon the information provided to them.

I would be interested to hear from you how you handle catering reservations - do you use 2 systems or do you use your campus scheduling software? We are not in a position to change scheduling software.

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Deb

Wayne Otis Mamed(omamed)
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:38 PM

Deb, I would definitely recommend against setting up two systems. It will be like keeping two personal calendars, one for work and one for home. It just doesn't work.

You did not mention what software you currently use for scheduling, or event management. We use EMS Enterprise. When we last contracted with a food service vendor, we made a part of the contract that they had to use our system for managing and tracking catering services, as well as billing. Is there any way that they can use your software to do this? Since catering is a service provider, just as technical services, maintenance, or police, you should be able to track their service through the software.

The only way I could see using two software packages, is if one could automatically populate the other, such as from your package to theirs. That way you know your schedule of events and services are handled, and the details for catering and billing are in their system, subordinate to yours. However if it is not real-time and completely automated this system most likely will not work.

Good luck!

W. 'Otis' Mamed, MS. Director, CCSU Student Center
http://stdctr.ccsu.edu | Personal Twitter = omamed
Events http://today.ccsu.edu | Event Tweet=CCSUToday

Jump to different Forum...