Campus Life and Program Management Home Page

Note: To post to the ACUI Forum, you must be an ACUI member and logged in to the ACUI website. 

RSS Feed Print Category View
Mid Semester Grade Checks and Study Halls for Student Groups
Jeff Lail(jefflail)
Posted: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:09 PM

I'm curious if anyone out there is doing any mid semester (in october, for instance) interventions with student staff or student groups.  By December, the damage can be done to a student's grades, so we're looking into ways to catch problems early and provide support.

If you're doing something like this or know someone who is, I'd love to hear about it.

Jeff Lail

UNCG

jclail@gmail.com

Shandy Stomieroski(sstomieroski)
Posted: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:20 PM

I have my students fill out mid quarter evals and then schedule a one on one "check in" so we can discuss their responses. During this time I make sure to ask them how their classes are going, if they are struggling with anything, and how I can help them be more successful. One of the things that frequently comes up is that they dont have enough time to study or get the outside help that they need. During our one on one time we discuss their options of cutting back their office hours during the day with the expectation that they spend those allocated hours in the tutoring center instead of in the office. Not all students will admit when they are struggling; we had one last year barely make the grade checks for a quarter. With this student we had a one on one at the beginning of the quarter where we discussed his grades and outlined a plan. The plan was that he would have reduced hours until mid quarter when we would sit down and reevaluate his academic progress. I asked this student for permission to contact his instructors to check in to see how he was doing. He agreed and I informed the instructors that I had recieved permission from the student to inquire about his progress. The only questions I asked were if he was attending classes regularly, if he was struggling at all and if he was making satisfactory progress.

I am assuming that this response is fairly reflective of the work that others out there are doing with their students. Good luck finding the answers you are looking for.

Cheers!

Shandy Stomieroski

Centralia College 

Jump to different Forum...