Responsible to: Staff Liaison (depends on content)
Volunteers Responsible for: None
Term of Office/Renewal: Commons contributors will serve a one-year rolling term, as agreed upon by the contributor and ACUI. At the end of the term, volunteer may reapply for additional one-year terms.
Responsibilities: Contribute to the educational mission of the Association through at least monthly posts to the ACUI Commons. The Commons is a new online resource for education and communication for college union and student activities professionals, to be launched in October, using blog functionality to deliver content similar to an online newspaper. Content must be either original or properly attributed and must fall into one of these categories:
• Campus News (i.e., descriptive posts about programs, projects, or other trends on campuses)
• Education (i.e., informative posts related to the application of theory, research, best practices, or the ACUI core competencies to the college union and student activities profession)
• Perspective (i.e., opinion posts giving a personal take on an element of the profession,
culture, or life)
• Knowledge of the college union’s functional areas and the Association’s core competencies.
• Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse needs and priorities of the Association’s membership and the profession.
• Full-time employment in a college union/student activities department at a member institution; solid institutional support and job stability.
• Demonstrated writing excellence.
Core Competencies: Applicants must demonstrate an understanding of the Association's 11 core competencies, realizing that this particular volunteer role will place emphasis on one or more competency area:
• Facilities Management
• Fiscal Management
• Human Resource Development
• Intercultural Proficiency
• Student Learning
To apply: Applications will be accepted for this position on a rolling basis but applicants must:
• Complete the online application form by supplying responses to the questions and prompts.
• Submit a short sample of a potential post on the topic of your choosing (300 words or less) to email@example.com.
Selection process: Contributors will be selected by ACUI’s director of educational programs and resources; selections will be made as vacancies occur on a rolling basis. Questions about this position or process can be directed to the ACUI Central Office Staff liaison to contributors Liz Stringer.
Updated Aug. 3, 2012